Skip to main content

Experiences in both Emergency Remote Teaching and Online Learning

 In my teacher experience I have had the luck of experimenting Online Learning design well before the COVID-19 emergency hit the whole education world. In particular, I have been creator and organiser of a distance course for professionals. In that context I had 1 year time frame to design a course, its contents, and ways of delivery and examination. Together with other colleagues, we learned about the importance of keeping teaching videos short, partitioning adequately the material and giving a good structure to the contents to help students. In other words, we followed several recommendations that can be commonly found in pedagogical research on distance learning [1]. We also tried to create learning communities by promoting virtual forums and discussions, however those opportunities have never been taken into account by the students. My personal opinion on this was that, due to the type of students, i.e. professionals that follow a course in their spare time, being part of a learning community is not part of attendees' goals.

During the past two years I also experimented the emergency remote teaching: due to the pandemics I have been forced to move my on-campus courses online, and given the time boundaries there has been no way to adequately revise those courses in an online version. So, indeed I basically run the courses as remote teaching and examinations [2]. With my big surprise, during these courses I observed a similar behaviour to the distance courses mentioned above: despite the learning community support students very rarely took the opportunity to interact and collaborate. Moreover, they tended to disappear from the lectures as soon as they discovered the need of some form of interaction with the teacher and other students (the recordings of the lectures have been always made available to everyone). Even more, cheating episodes tended to completely disappear, as students seemed to miss a concrete solution to communicate with each others.

Taking into account the two previous experiences, I plan to gradually introduce group works to create learning communities [3]. The main goal would be to let the students appreciate the great opportunity of sharing experiences with others and managing their learning paths. I expect this to be also an important engagement factor, especially important at the beginning of the course (when most of the students either drop-out or become scarcely active). The on-campus courses will represent a good way of testing some of those works, first of all because the number of students is relatively larger; because there exist assignments that are more suitable to be adapted to group works; and because several times students show kind of dissatisfaction and low interest to the kind of problems they are given [2].

1. Hodges, C. et.al (2020). The Difference Between Emergency Remote Teaching and Online Learning. EDUCAUSE review.

2. Weller, Martin; van Ameijde, Jitse and Cross, Simon (2018). Learning Design for Student Retention. Journal of Perspectives in Applied Academic Practice, 6(2)

3. Brindley, J., Blaschke, L. M. & Walti, C. (2009). Creating effective collaborative learning groups in an online environment. The International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 10(3)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Could be Facebook a good tool for students' engagement?

Honestly, I have never taken into account Facebook as a potential tool for teaching and learning. I would never recommend to be friend with your students, and vice versa would never expect that students' would be friends with their teachers. Simply put, there are too many private aspects that it is good to keep separated between students and teachers. With my great surprise, I instead discovered a rich literature on the topic: it is at least 10 years that there exist empirical observations on the adoption and effects of Facebook in teaching and learning activities [1]. In particular, the typical way of working is to create groups for a course: with the right settings, group members are only students, possibly together with teachers, without the need of being friends on Facebook [2]. This indeed is a reasonable approach, that alleviates a lot of the doubts related to privacy, both for the teacher and the students: in fact, a group creates a kind of private island on Facebook where

Open Networked Learning: final reflections

  When I registered for this course and expressed my expectations, I wrote that I was seeking for the holy grail of students' engagement. Moreover, in an internal workshop at my university (Mälardalen University, MDU), I told that my impression about ONL was about a meta-course, that is a course that teaches you about course design through a course. Now that we reached the end I can say that my expectations have been fulfilled, even though not in the way I was expecting. Indeed, I believe to have gotten at least a clearer picture and a plan about a possible way to engage more students in their learning process. In my opinion, the mean is learning communities: if I manage to create adequate learning communities and convince the students to actively contribute in their communities, this will on one hand engage everyone more in learning, and will also make course contents more interesting for the students. When it comes to the meta-course expectation, indeed ONL has been a meta-course

Learning in communities: do our students know how it works?

  After more than a month through the course on Open Networked Learning (ONL), the webinar on Learning Communities [1] and some of the suggested literature for the topic [2, 3] stimulated some reflections on courses organisation and current (frustrating) experiences with students and group assignments. These reflections start from my own experience with this ONL course: me, and with many of the members in my group (and so I guess it happened also for other groups), felt kind of disoriented with respect to the assignments and the way of working. We have been given some problem/context to work on, but apart from that we have been given freedom to self-organise and decide on what to concretely investigate. My personal opinion is that even ourselves, the teachers, are kind of unused to this type of advanced collaboration: not a simple cooperative work, where everyone is assigned a specific task, rather a real collaborative effort, where everyone contributes to the construction of group kno